The humble chickpea is a magical legume. As well as being a great source of fibre and protein, they can also help support blood sugar control, can ease digestion, and may even help you manage your weight as part of a healthy diet. Not to mention, they're cheap!
With this simple and affordable recipe, Marika Day takes the chickpea to delicious new heights. It's hearty, healthy and delicious - perfect for eating as a main meal or as a side.
Serves 6 as a side or 4 as a main.
Cheesy Chickpea Bake
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Black pepper
- 50g parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place stock in a saucepan with spices and bring to a gentle boil.
- In a baking dish add chickpeas, brown rice and broccoli, spreading evenly over the base of the dish.
- Pour hot stock mixture evenly over rice mixture ensuring all rice has been covered.
- Grate parmesan cheese over the dish.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake in a preheated oven for 55 minutes or until rice is cooked through and liquid has been absorbed.
- Top with any fresh herbs you have or additional cheese before serving, or simply serve as is.
- Swap chickpeas for any legume you have at home, white beans or even kidney beans would work
- Use fresh or frozen broccoli, or swap for any vegetables you have
- Swap vegetable stock for any stock you have - chicken or beef will work
- Mix up the spices based on your taste preference or what you have available
- Swap parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast for a vegan version
- Add peeled prawns or diced chicken for extra protein