To change the ownership of a policy, the current policy owner(s) and new policy owner(s) need to complete a Change of Ownership form. If you have an investment policy, then we recommend you call us to check you have the correct form. The correct Change of Ownership form needs to be posted or emailed to us.
Change of ownership - the process
Your adviser can help you with this process. In order to complete the Change of Ownership form, you will need to:
- Enter the name of the current owner or owners. If there's more than one owner, all must sign the current owner section, even if they will also be one of the new owners.
- Enter the name of the new owner/s. All new owners must sign the Change of Ownership form. Note:if you are currently an owner and wish to remain an owner, please sign the New Owner section.
- Post or email the Change of Ownership form to us and we'll take it from there.
Change of ownership - important notes
There are several important things to keep in mind when completing the Change of Ownership form:
- Witnesses must be 16 years of age or older who are not associated with the policy.
- A trust cannot own the policy. However, the individual trustees can become owners provided there is no reference to the trust.
- If the policy is owned by a bank, the bank must sign and stamp the form.
- If the policy is owned by a company, one director must sign.
- The change of ownership is not valid until registered by AIA.
- Please post the original form or email a scanned copy.
If you have a Sovereign policy or investment, an ASB policy, or have bought an AIA policy since August 5, 2019
You can send your Change of Ownership form and documents to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Post: AIA New Zealand Limited, Private Bag 92499 , Victoria Street West, Auckland 1142
If you have an AIA Real/Superior Health policy purchased before August 5, 2019
You are required to complete the Memorandum of transfer form (see below). If you are a new owner, you must also complete page 3 (Owner Details). If a company is going to own the policy, any director or shareholder with more than 25% shares must also complete page 3 (Owner Details).
You can send your Memorandum of transfer form to:
- Email: email@example.com or
- Post: AIA New Zealand Limited, Private Bag 300981, Albany, Auckland 0752, New Zealand