This is a family recipe which I have been enjoying for years!
Ingredients: (serves 4 as a main or 8 as a side)
- 1 cup bulgur wheat, rinsed thoroughly
- 8 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1-2 cups of finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped mint
- 4 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
How to make it:
- Soak the Bulgur wheat in warm water for about 10 minutes or until it is soft but still has a bite to it. Rinse, drain thoroughly and place into a mixing bowl
- Add the spring onions, tomatoes, chopped herbs and mixed spice - stir together
- Add lemon juice and olive oil, season with plenty of black pepper
- Chill and serve
Great tip! I always use my Kenwood Triblade with the bowl attachment to chop up my herbs!
Serve it up:
Enjoy as a side dish with fish, chicken or meat and green salad.
I personally enjoy this most of the time with homemade lamb or beef meat balls, a crunchy green salad and a yoghurt dressing like Tzatziki (yoghurt, mint, cucumber, garlic).
If you are short on time, you can use hot water to soak the bulgur wheat and it will only take 5-10 minutes to soften. It can go very soft, so just keep checking as it is soaking to make sure it doesn't go mushy, it still needs to have a 'bite'. You can use cooked brown rice, buckwheat or quinoa for a gluten free version.
Nutritional Information per serve of 4:
kJ (Kcals) 1240kj, 295kcals
This recipe was created by Qualified Nutritionist Claire Turnbull who is an Author, Professional Speaker and the Director of the Mission Nutrition who offer nutrition consultations and workplace wellbeing services nationwide. For 75% off the cost of a nutrition consultation with Mission Nutrition, BOOK HERE
Facebook: From @claireturnbullnz from @missionnutritionnz
Instagram: From @claire.turnbull from Mission Nutrition www.missionnutrition.co.nz