Tofu & Roast Potato Gado Gado
Handful green beans
Large handful Spinach
2-3 boiled eggs
1 large potato / sweet potato
1 block firm fresh tofu
1 red chilli
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
4-5 shallots, finely chopped
4-5 large red chillies, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 stalks lemongrass, bashed and finely chopped
1 thumb sized piece galangal or ginger, finely chopped
6 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
½ can coconut milk
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
¼ lime, juiced
½ tbsp palm sugar
½ tsp salt
1. Blanch the green beans for 3 minutes in boiling water and then remove and cool in a bowl of cold water. Then, in the same water, blanch the spinach and beansprouts separately for 30 seconds each, and then cooling.
2. Boil the eggs then allow them to cool. Peel and halve them ready for the salad
3. Slice the tofu into 1cm thick chunks
4. Now slice the potato into ½ cm thick sized chips, and season with salt
5. Next, lightly cover the potatoes in olive oil and roast for 45 minutes at 200°C
6. Prepare the cucumber, tomatoes and red chilli ready to serve
7. For the peanut sauce, pound ‘The Paste’ in a pestle and mortar or blitz in a food processor with a couple of tablespoons of water until smooth Separately, mix ‘The Liquid’ together, stirring into the peanut butter to melt through and smoothly combine as much possible.
8. Build Your Wok Clock: Start at 12 o’clock with ‘The Paste’, followed by the ‘The Liquid’, the roasted potatoes or squash, and lastly the rest of the salad ingredients.
1. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a saucepan to a medium heat and then add ‘The paste’. Stir through and fry for 4-5 minutes until fragrant and aromatic and deeper in colour.
2. Now pour ‘The liquid’ over the paste and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pan fry the tofu on both sides for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
4. Either way, once the chips are cooked, compile your salad ingredients together on a serving plate, placing your chips and cut eggs over the salad last, with the peanut sauce served in a bowl on the side.
DOWNLOAD THE RECIPE CARD